Saturday, August 27, 2011

true confessions of my fashion decline

THEN...
I'm twenty years old and I love shopping, fashion, and good style.  The world feels like it is at my disposal, the future is exciting, and I can do anything I want.  I probably go shopping about once a week, just to check the racks for any great deals.  What I don't have on my side of the closet, I can just borrow from Bayba's closet, or Pam's...and we always find something cute.  If I happen to overspend a little, that's not a big deal, because my parents help me out since I'm in college.  I love that feeling of excitement and trying on 20 outfits on Sunday morning just to get the right one.  I love that feeling of looking classy and fashionable, but not trendy.  I love hanging out with my friends, and having such a good time together, and of course, getting asked out on dates.  All is good and right with the world. Except, I wonder who I will marry...and when...?

NOW...
Still in my twenties...and I'm so concerned about my budget and getting to work on time that shopping, fashion, and good style seem to elude me in every way.  The world feels more defined, the future is more or less planned out, and I am bound to hard and fast goals that make sense instead of intuitive whims that don't make sense (the latter what I was known for in my younger days).  I go shopping about once a week for food or household goods, and I can never seem to enjoy a "guilt-free" trip to TJ Maxx, or the Mall, because as they say, "a good deal isn't a good deal if you don't really need it."  And really, I don't need more clothes.  What I don't have in my side of the closet, I just dream of making sometime, or I just without, because (a) my husband and I can't share clothes and (b) he is amazing, but looking put-together is just not quite his strongest feature (which doesn't help me much).  Not to mention, of course, that in high school when I actually was flat-chested it was not as stylish as it seems to be now.  My closet is filled with old (somewhat frumpy) mission clothes, begging to be restyled, but finding the time and motivation to do this after I come home from work, is an obstacle I haven't yet figured out how to overcome.  My church outfits are more determined by what is easy to put together and comfortable (or in the winter, what is warm) than how stylish I look.  I have a closet full of heels I never wear (I mean never).  And my hair...oh boy...one word...apathy.  No body, doesn't hold a curl, looks frizzy when blow dried, and I can't figure out how to do all of those cool braids and messy buns - so hair band or pony tail it is.  Hanging out with friends is never spontaneous, because I have to work them into my schedule, or I have to work around theirs.  I am happily married to the perfect, and I mean, beyond perfect man for me - but the fun-loving girl who cared about style?  Sigh.

Problem Solving:
I realize that the above statement is a little dramatic, but for the most part, it's accurate.  It's really been years since I felt, or actually have been "stylish." I'm pretty sure my mission did me in.  Clearly, there has been a slump. I need to set some hard and fast style goals.  I mean, there have to be standards. 

Fashion wise, here are the main challenges.  Everyone has their "things" but for me, finding myself the right looks are somewhat difficult at the moment because my body type (bust) makes current styles look horrible on me, and quite frankly, I'm not too fond of the blimpy, loose fitting, 90's-esque winged shirts/dresses anyway. I love ruffles, but even those can be my worst enemy if in the wrong place.  I love the belt-around-cardigan-over-cute-shirt with skinny jeans or a pencil skirt look, but I've tried it, and it rarely gets past my bedroom mirror check (at least with the belt, which just seems to emphasize the bust).  Realistically, the curves are probably not going anywhere soon, so I have to figure this one out.

Refashioning?
I also realize that just because all of our money has to go to necessities and savings, I'm not left without options.  Really, I love this option of refashioning.  Since the clothing budget is small, shopping at my favorite places style icons (gap, banana, anthro) are simply not an option, but
here is a blog I found today that is actually quite inspiring:
Here are some things that I want to try and make sometime:





1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this! I can relate to a lot of that... I feel I am in a big style slump recently too. But I love the idea of refashioning! I have always wanted to try that. So go for it! :D I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    And p.s. I couldn't figure out how to comment directly there but I love the two new pages (balanced life and little things) Great goals!

    ReplyDelete