Wednesday, August 10, 2011

homemade cleaning products recipes



Since I have recently turned a new leaf in managing finances, I have realized that this is not just an attitude change, it is actually a complete lifestyle overhaul. The idea of saving money so that we can {sooner than later} progress toward complete financial freedom is making me re-analyze everything I spend money on. The funny side effect is that these discoveries are actually really exciting {I know I am a huge dork}, and they will help with the budget.


Now if I can only get over my aversion to the nauseating smell of vinegar...I'll be able to try these formulas out!

Here is what you need to make your own cleaning products:

For laundry detergent, you need 1 cup washing soda (Arm & Hammer), 1/2 cup borax (20 Mule Team), 1 bar soap (I use whatever’s cheap, in this case Pure & Natural), Approximately 3 gallons water



For kitchen and bathroom floors you need a mixture of 1 gallon of hot water with ½ cup of white vinegar. The mixture is safe for hardwood, linoleum, tile, and pretty much every washable surface. You can also use this to clean your entire bathroom, not only floors.


To make your own dishwasher liquid use water with lemon juice. All you need is ¼ cup of lemon juice and ¾ cup of warm water.


To make a disinfectant spray mix a ½ cup of borax with 1 gallon of hot water.
To clean your windows use a mixture of 1 cup of water, 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.


For cleaning kitchen cabinets use a mixture of ¼ cup lemon juice dissolved in 1 gallon of hot water.


Toilet bowl cleaner can be made by mixing ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 cup of vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and scrub it with brush.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! :) I get excited about this stuff all the time so we can be dorks together ;) It is less expensive, works as well or even better, and is way better for the environment! Win-Win-Win ;) I love making my own cleaners. You've given me some great ideas for some I haven't tried, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete